Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Best American Travel Writing 2013

The Best American Travel Writing 2013

In this collection of essays, authors share their experiences of travel, which range from putting their lives in danger to literally following their dreams, and encompasses all the bliss, serenity, chaos, and awe that results from putting oneself in unfamiliar places. Often, all of these experiences happen on the same trip. Through adventures ranging from bushwhacking up the precarious mountains of Papua New Guinea, to an unfortunately authentic recreation of Dickensian London, to staying in exactly the same location with all the familiar surroundings, the learning and growth that comes from travel contributes to a deeper understanding of self, others, and the world. Whether describing in hilarious detail a trip to the dentist, respectfully observing generations-old traditions, or offering commentary on wild dogs running rampant in the city, this collection of essays provides enough variety in travel experiences to suit those who are comfortable with staying home and those with insatiable wanderlust.

“The Best American Travel Writing 2013” was a compilation of pieces chosen by guest editor Elizabeth Gilbert. Her main criteria for inclusion was finishing a piece and not feeling a desire to travel to whatever place had been described, but feeling as if she had already been there. Reading these pieces with that perspective in mind certainly brought that experience to the fore. Each author write with their unique style and voice, and the collection of pieces offered a fairly balanced mix of observation of other cultures and traditions and personal reflection on what is gained, or lost, through travel. Not every piece appeals to every audience, though, which is bound to happen with an anthology.

I’ve said it before, and I’m sure I’ll say it again, but anthologies are somewhat tricky to review because they cover such a wide variety of stories, styles, and purposes. Unfortunately, the amalgamation of travel experiences was not as immediately enthralling as I was expecting. The thing I forgot about travel writing is that it often includes nuances in language and geography that must be described in a roundabout way rather than directly translated, so I found myself caught up in details more than I would have liked, which meant losing perspective on the big picture of whatever essay I was reading. On top of doing this with individual essays, it happened in piece after piece after piece, making the anthology somewhat of a chore to get through. In fact, when I misplaced my bookmark and skipped 60 pages of the book, I continued reading without realizing this discrepancy until I finished and had to go back to the pieces I had missed. Individual essays about travel are certainly captivating and worth reading, but I may not read another whole book of individual travel experiences pieced together.

No comments:

Post a Comment